Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hymns

A while back I tried a "meme" for which one of the challenges was:
"For each letter of your name, write the name of a song that is fitting for your life somehow."
Well, that was too complicated, although I think my life theme song could be "I'm Not Cool" by Scott Krippayne. It's a really good song - you can read the lyrics if you click on the title right there.

In keeping with that theme (not being cool) I have a confession to make.

I really prefer hymns in church.


Perhaps it is due to nostalgia - growing up in a (formerly) traditional, fairly large church with a wonderful organ and tremendous organist along with a large choir. I loved that you could feel the music as the air filled those pipes and the whole church and even get "goose bumps" sometimes.

Somehow hymns bring me to a place of worship in a way that most modern music never quite does. Both the music and the words affect me in a more meaningful way. I don't listen to them very often, but happened to pop in a CD with some on the way to church this morning. (Geoff and little G are out of town, so only the girls were there to hear.) Just before we arrived a very rousing, majestic rendition of "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" played.

Then the message was on I Corinthians 10 with a theme of God being faithful. And the first song of the closing set was..."Great Is Thy Faithfulness." I was sort of getting the idea God was trying to get my attention on this subject today! Apparently the lyrics to this hymn are still copyrighted, but you can read them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment