Wednesday, March 19, 2008

a few deeper thoughts

time and attitudes
This week is spring break for the public schools around here. We are still doing school most of the week because we are taking a few days off next week and when my family comes for a visit in May. The blessing of that is having all of our regular activities - violin lessons, AWANA, etc. - cancelled for the week.

But it just occurred to me that our schedule is like a hole in the sand at the water's edge. You dig and dig and for maybe a few seconds the hole will look empty, but it is going to fill up with water immediately. You may take a walk down the beach, and as you come back, see the hole, but when you get close enough, can see that it is full.

That is how our schedule this week has turned out. A few weeks ago it looked like it would be a relatively low-key, relaxing week (school and life go more smoothly when we have less activities to work around), but as it came around, we have filled it up with quite a bit and in the end, have had as much or more going on than usual. Good things, as the majority of the "fill" has been time with people, which we have a hard time squeezing in to our normal routine, but not the laid back, quality- school and family time, kind of week I had envisioned ahead of time.

On top of this, someone's attitude has been terrible because they don't care for "school" (truth be told, this person doesn't care much for anything that involves any effort or work) and are unwilling to deal with the concept of taking days off here and there instead of one whole week at a time. (I fear if we were to do this, it would be very difficult for ANY of us - myself included - to get back in gear when it was over.) This attitude has been greatly accentuated by several late nights in a row.

second "deep" thought...
My Utmost for His Highest is my favorite devotional book. The whole book is available online in various forms. Here is one site. The reading from yesterday, March 18, really hit me (which actually happens on an almost daily basis) and the comment that stood our to me the most was this: "Am I forming the mind of Christ, Who never spoke from His right to Himself, but maintained an inner watchfulness whereby He continually submitted His spirit to His Father?"

Do I ever NOT speak from my right to myself??? (sigh)

1 comment:

  1. I've never been happier to be analogous to dirty water :) Thanks for making time for us! Shawnda and I were talking about how much fun we had on the way home. I love you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete