Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Playing with art

For some time now, I've wanted to start an art journal, or alter a book. (If you aren't familiar with either of these forms of art, you can search the internet or look at your local library to get an idea.) Well, after a few years of looking at others' and reading about the process, I've dived in. It seems like each artist has their own favorite materials to work with. Recently, I mentioned The Artistic Mother and the blog by the same author. She frequently mentions and uses Portfolio Water Soluble Oil Pastels, which I would like to try when I get a chance to order them. In the meantime, these "water soluble wax pastels" by Reeves were available locally, so we're (I'm not the only one using them) giving them a try. These are going to be designated to the kids once the others are ordered, or for traveling. They work OK, but it sounds like the Portfolios are probably better. The journal page on the left is mine, and the one on the right was done by my 5yo daughterIt was pretty impressive that though she followed the original layout of mine (below),she was very creative in coming up with her own designs to fill in the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment