Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Asking for Christ-consciousness

In a devotional reading the past few days, the topic of Christ-consciousness has been dwelt upon a bit. Here are some things that REALLY hit me (in other words, apply):

"Beware of allowing self-consciousness to continue because by slow degrees it will awaken self-pity, and self-pity is Satanic....Leave others alone and ask the Lord to give you Christ-consciousness, and He will poise you until the completeness is absolute....Jesus says, "Come unto Me and I will give you rest," i.e., Christ-consciousness will take the place of self-consciousness. Wherever Jesus comes He establishes rest, the rest of the perfection of activity that is never conscious of itself." (You can read the whole selection here.)

This is the kind of rest I truly need - the rest from self-consciousness. From always feeling like (or wondering if) I'm not good enough, or saying or doing the right things, or displeasing the Lord, or..., or..., or.... To rest fully in Him without the uncertainty or fear that often hamper growth. To be at peace and have joy from certainty in Him, in the circumstances He engineers in my life.

I never thought of "rest" as being freedom from self-consciousness, but what an incredible freedom that would be!!!

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Something I've been in the process of for a while now... =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good reminder. I need to pray for "Christ-consciousness" instead of being so wrapped up in myself!

    ReplyDelete